Mar 05, 2012 0 Share

Utah Roadmap

Map of Utah with red push pin at Salt Lake City.


At Age 16

  • Read our article on Transition.
  • Read our articles on Finances, Public and Private.
  • Visit the Utah State Office of Education website. Find out what the requirements for graduation with a regular diploma are. Students in Utah do not have to pass exit exams to graduate.
  • Meet with your child’s IEP team to discuss the Transition Plan. Visit the Wrightslaw website to get a better understanding of your child’s rights at Transition.
  • Ask the school’s Transition Services Coordinator or your chlid’s IEP team leader to contact the Utah State Office of Rehabilitation, Vocational Rehabilitation and request that a representative attend the next IEP meeting. Alternatively, contact them yourself to make the request.
  • Contact the Utah Department of Human Services to find out what supports may be available for your child, at what age your child may apply for services, and how long the waiting list is for those services.
  • Visit the website of the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA) if you wish to hire someone to help you advocate with your school system.


At Age 17

  • Read our article on Guardianship.
  • Read our articles on Finances, Public and Private.
  • Apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Even if your child receives SSI now, he will have to re-apply at age 18.
  • Visit the Utah Medicaid website to find out if your child will qualify for Medicaid upon turning 18 and if so, begin application process.


One Year Before High School Graduation


At Age 21

All Along the Way